When I visit family we always have this delicious crumble for breakfast. It’s filled with apples from the garden and seasonal berries. In the winter we use frozen berries, really does taste just as good! This crumble is refined-sugar free and gluten free and really is heartwarming 🙂
I’ve not only been eating this as a treat in the weekends, but I’ve started getting into the habit of making it during the week and having it as a snack or as a quick breakfast to take along when I have rushed mornings! It’s best warm and fresh of course, but it’s also really good to bring with you and top off with some coconut yoghurt!
Ingredients apple crumble
It serves 1 big dish, 9 big portions
- 8 medium apples
- (120 g seasonal berries)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 250 ml maple syrup
- 250-300 ml apple sauce (sugar-free!)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp arrowroot
- 60 ml water
- 110 g rolled oats
- 55 g almond flour
- 70 g gluten free flour (buckwheat, coconut or quinoa flour)
- 40 g pecans
- 40 g walnuts
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 120 ml melted coconut oil
How to make the crumble
It will take you about 60 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the apples, quarter and remove the cores and cut into little chunks.
- Put the apples into the dish and add the layer of seasonal berries if using.
- Mix all the other ingredients of the filling into a bowl and toss into the dish. Combine a bit with the fruit.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- In a bowl add all of the topping ingredients except for the nuts and mix. When the coconut oil it melted add in the oil and mix again.
- Cover the filling as even as possible with the topping, pressing a bit.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Add the nuts on top and bake for another 15-20 minutes till golden brown!
- Enjoy with some warm oat-milk and/or coconut yogurt!
Do you follow pcos_veganway on Instagram yet?