I tried something new.. I used to love burgers and one of the things that I couldn’t imagine living without was a meaty burger with some good sauce. Good news for everyone who’s the same. These burgers are amaaaazing!
They’re made with black beans, sweet potato, mushrooms and almond flour. The sauce is spicy and creamy which is made out of cashews and chili-saus. Uhm hello new favorite meal? The best thing is yet to come. Besides that they taste amazing and unhealthy, they’re HEALTHY! And they’re perfect if you’re craving something fatty and delicious.
I served mine with some sweet potato french fries and a salad but feel free to leave the fries out since it is quite a bit of carbs that you’ll be consuming. For me it was a Saturday, so I was okay with it. My bread is a sourdough seed bread, also gluten free. If you want to scratch the bread you can serve it on a portobello, really tastes just as good!
This will serve 3 burgers
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for baking with
- 250 g mushrooms (sliced in small pieces)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150 g black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small sweet potato
- 35 g almond flour
- 25 g chia seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
How to make the black bean & mushroom burgers:
- Start by soaking your cashew nuts for at least 2 hours for the sauce!
- Boil, bake or steam your sweet potato first, you can start with the next steps but keep an eye on it! Once soft take out and let it cool.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. When it’s hot add some coconut oil, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms and all of the other ingredients in a mixer and blend. I like mine lumpy but you can also make it smooth!
- With your hands make the mixture into 3 patties and put on a plate. You can cool them off in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden a bit which makes the baking easier. You can also leave out that step and start baking right away.
- Bake the burgers on a frying pan in enough oil on medium heat and flip when golden brown on one side.
- Make the sauce while baking the burgers!
Ingredients spicy sauce:
Makes 220 grams of sauce
- 75 g cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp harissa or any other hot sauce
- 1 clove of garlic
- a pinch of salt
- black pepper
How to make the sauce:
- After soaking the cashew nuts for at least 2 hours (if you have little time it helps to soak them in warm water!)
- Drain and rinse the nuts and add everything in a blender.
- Mix for a couple of minutes so it gets creamy and thick.
- Serve your burger with what-ever your heart desires!
Do you follow pcos_veganway on Instagram yet? If so, make sure to tag me in your next food-post! Enjoy!