I’m a HUGE fan of blueberries. And i’m so glad that that’s something that we (women with PCOS) are aloud to eat. The more the better actually, YAY! (Always in combination with something fatty though, blueberries do contain sugar.)
These muffins are made with almond flour and are super fluffy with my trick to use apple cider. Who says you need eggs to make baked good fluffy and delicious? You can freeze in the muffins once cooled and eat them the rest of the week! I can’t wait till summer and I can start eating fresh blueberries. But till then, I’ll be making these delicious muffins.
I was born in Main were we used to have fields of blueberries to ourselves. As a kid I would go along with my parents in the morning and we would pick fresh blueberries for breakfast. After a while picking they would see how I was doing and find out my bowl was empty. ‘How can that be?’ They then asked. I didn’t reply. But my mouth covered with blue said enough.
Blueberries contain so many vitamines and actually help against aging. This has to do with anthocyanin. That’s a fancy name for the blue colour. This has influence on our whole blood circulation and effects our heart and vessels positively. Besides this, blueberries also contain lots of anti-oxidants. They’re actually not that many other foods that contain as much!
Ingredients Blueberry muffins:
Serves 12 muffins
- 250 ml oatmilk
- 1 tsp apple cider
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g almond flour
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- 2 smashed bananas
- 90 g maple syrup
- 60 g melted coconut oil
- zest 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanille extract
How to make the blueberry muffins:
It will take you about 40 minutes
- Warm up the oven to 175 degrees celsius. And put in the muffins cups in your tin.
- In a bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients. Leave out the apple cider.
- In another small bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. Leave out the baking soda.
- Add the zest and blueberries to the wet ingredients.
- Pour in another small bowl the apple cider and slowly add the baking soda. It will start sizzling. Stir for about 3 seconds and add to your wet ingredients bowl. Stir and combine well.
- Next you’ll add all of the dry ingredients to the wet and fold in. Make sure not to stir it wo well. The muffins will get better this way.
- Use spoons to spoon in your batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Keep on checking and once they have a golden glow use a pricker and stick it in the middle. If it comes out dry, they’re done!
- Cool off on a rack. Eat warm fresh from the oven or bring them along a snack. Something to look forward for at work!
Do you follow pcos_veganway on Instagram yet? If so, make sure to tag me in your next blueberry muffin post!